Hurricanes can cause serious damage to homes and buildings. To protect your property from the strong winds and flying debris that these hurricanes can bring, it is important to have some type of hurricane protection in place.
If you’re exploring different hurricane protection options for your South Florida home, you may have two main options available: hurricane screens and hurricane shutters.
Both have their benefits and drawbacks, and the suitable choice for you will depend on your specific needs and circumstances. Let’s analyze the pros and cons of each.
Hurricane screens are made of a strong, durable mesh material. They are designed to withstand high winds and debris that come with storms. Hurricanes screens are generally installed over windows and doors, they can be easily removed when not in use.
Some of the major advantages of hurricane screens are:
- They allow natural light and ventilation to pass through. This property helps you keep your home bright and airy even when the storm is raging outside.
- Hurricane Screens are also relatively easy to install and remove. This makes them a convenient option for those who may not have the time or expertise to install more permanent hurricane protection.
- They resemble high-end sunshades. You can get them in a variety of colors, they look exceptionally clean and attractive in the backyard and outdoor applications.
However, on the downside, they have certain limitations:
- Hurricane screens can hold up well in moderate storms but they may not be able to withstand the strongest winds and debris that a major hurricane can bring.
- They also do not offer any protection against flooding, so if you live in a flood-prone area, you may need to consider other options.
Hurricane shutters are designed to provide a higher level of protection. They are made of a variety of materials, including aluminum, steel, or wood, and are usually installed on the exterior of windows and doors. Either, they can be permanently mounted or removable, depending on your needs. When not in use, the shutters can be folded away and stored until they are required again.
The main advantages of hurricane shutters are:
- They have high strength and durability. They can withstand the strongest winds and debris, making them a good choice for those who live in areas prone to frequent or severe hurricanes.
- They also offer some protection against flooding, as they can help to keep water out of your home.
- When it comes to hurricane shutters, you have plenty of options in style and color. While Bahama shutters and Colonial hurricane shutters are made to boost style and curb appeal, storm panels are very utilitarian in their appearance.
- They provide great functionality in the off-season. They also ensure privacy and prevent intruders from breaking into your house. Along with storm protection, they also offer shade and UV control.
There are a few drawbacks to consider when it comes to hurricane shutters:
- They can be more expensive than other options and may require more time and expertise to install.
- They also block out natural light when in use, so you may need to rely on artificial lighting and ventilation during a storm.
Ultimately, the choice between hurricane screens and hurricane shutters will depend on the location of your property, your budget, and your needs. If you live in an area prone to severe hurricanes and need the highest level of protection possible, hurricane shutters may be a better choice than screens.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a more affordable and convenient option that allows for natural light and ventilation, hurricane screens may be a good fit.
It is important to carefully consider your options and choose the option that best meets your needs and budget.
Still, need help deciding the ideal hurricane protection for your Florida home? Shutters239 is here to help! We offer a huge range of hurricane screens and hurricane shutters in Florida. We also provide exceptional hurricane shutter service and repair.
At Shutters239, we also clean and design hurricane shutters in Florida. We make sure they are fitted to your unique style and needs. We make sure to use premium materials for maximum aesthetic value and security.
Contact us today for more information about our hurricane screens, storm shutters, and the other storm damage mitigation solutions we can provide you!